The UK Cypriot Fertility Association was established in 2008 by NHS IVF consultants. We provide UK couples with safe access to egg donation as well as preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) for gender selection in Northern Cyprus. We currently have:
- Two main centres on Harley Street, London and Liverpool.
- A range of satellite centres across the UK.
- Fertility specialists with years of experience at some of the UK’s largest Fertility and IVF clinics.
UKCFA was initially set up with the simple aim of providing egg donation to UK couples i.e. an egg donor programme. However, over the course of time it became apparent that an increasing number of couples were looking for treatment for sex selection (specifically for family balancing purposes).
Gender selection for family balancing is not legal in the UK, which meant couples desiring the treatment seeking PGD with IVF had to travel abroad.
Procuring PGD abroad typically left couples facing the option of either flying to the US at great personal expense, or worse, risking the danger of unsupervised IVF treatment; the initial part of the preimplantation genetic diagnosis process.
While our consultants in the UK had never actively encouraged sex selection, many couples were intent on receiving it and in 2009 our London clinic began treating these couples.
Although sex selection is not legal in the UK, our patients can feel safe with the knowledge that:
- PGD for sex selection is legal in Cyprus, where one of our clinics is based
- In the UK it is legal to follow up a patient who may plan to go to Cyprus to complete their IVF treatment with a view to have PGD for gender selection.
As such, our consultants in the UK can ensure:
- Adequate response to drugs
- Patient safety (all our NHS IVF consultants are well known Fertility specialists)
- Synchronisation of the treatment with our Cyprus clinic
If you have any questions about IVF treatment and gender selection services we offer, please browse our website or visit the UKCFA FERTILITY FORUM for further information. Alternatively, please feel free to call us or contact Jemma Hand. We’re here for you.